Monday, June 23, 2008

Ann Kersten's Reads

1) There is a series of four novels called "The Emmigrants" by Moberg about Swedish immigrants to Minnesota. I loved the series. They were originally written in Swedish and were translated into English. A friend loaned them to me. I'm not sure if they're available at the public library. If you are interested in what life was like in the 1850s or what it was like on an immigrant ship, etc., or have Swedish ancestors, you might like these books.

2) I read a couple of short Christmas, romance stories by Nora Roberts. They are "happy ever after" kind of easy reads. They were put together in one book which is called "The Gift." I came upon the one because I was looking for something about New Hampshire, which is the place one of the stories takes place. There are a couple of pages in each that I skimmed because of sex.

3) I am now reading "Not Without My Daugher." You may have read it some time ago. It's the story of an American woman who married an Iranian man. Things were good until they went to Iran for a visit. It gives quite an insight into Iranian life. This book was made into a movie. This book has some disturbing realities in it.

No comments: